February 13, 2012

Cocoa-Shea Butter Lip Balm

A treat for winter lips, all natural, and all good stuff.  After reading the ingredients for my favorite Burts Bees balm, and being disturbed that a seeming all-natural brand had so much crap in it, I decided to take matters into my own hands.

This is a nice thick lipbalm- you could sub out the castor oil if you want less shine (avocado oil would be nice).  Not too waxy, but long lasting feeling of moisture.

I used organic beeswax and candelilla wax, but you can use whatever you want.  Apparently carnauba wax is a good alternative to candelilla.

I made a big enough batch of this so that I can test some with colour- I have nude and pink shades of lip safe mica to try out for a nice tinted lip balm.


Cocoa-Shea Butter Lip Balm
100% = 100 grams, and got enough to make quite a few tubes.  
I poured two, saved the rest in a jar to tint with mica later on.

8% Candelilla Wax
9% Beeswax
11% Shea Butter
19% Cocoa Butter
52% Castor Oil
1% Vitamin E Oil

1% optional- Oil soluble flavour
I probably used more like 0.5% for a very subtle effect.


Melt all ingredients in a double boiler until fully incorporated.  The waxes took the longest to melt.  Even without any flavouring added, this lip balm has a lovely scent of beeswax and cocoa butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment